Thursday, November 15, 2012

Purple Pizza Crust (Sorry, Dad!)



One of the many things I love about Chou is that he loves experimenting in the kitchen. Last week while we were meal planning, he asked if I wanted to try a cauliflower pizza crust. Absolutely! And then at market on Saturday he proceeded to buy a purple cauliflower. I love him!

We forgot to take a picture of the cauliflower, but if I we buy one again soon I'll come back and add a photo.

We made this recipe and it actually turned out really well. We used a mix of Monterey Jack, extra sharp cheddar, and Romano cheeses, because it was what we had on hand and we wanted a slightly more flavorful cheese to make up for the potentially bland crust. With all the cheese and spices in the crust, it was a hit.

We topped it with pizza sauce, cheese, chicken that we had roasted and shredded, and steamed broccoli. The crust definitely needs some serious toppings for it to feel like a meal rather than an appetizer.

The only thing I might do differently is steam the cauliflower a day ahead and let it drain in a colander overnight to try and avoid the need to squeeze the moisture out of it.



No comments:

Post a Comment