Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Gardening on Concrete

E and I planted our itty bitty container garden last week. Living in the city, we don't have the space for a real garden especially since our microscopic back yard is completely shaded and claimed by our dogs. E loved mixing the potting soil, planting, unplanting, replanting, splashing in the water, making mud, drinking mud, and splashing in more water to clean off.

We grow some herbs every year, and this year we added some cherry tomatoes. E loves tomatoes, and supposedely you can grown them in containers. I'm still skeptical, but we have one small spot of sun where they're currently growing, so we just have to wait and see how they do. I dream of a yard with enough space for a real garden, although I have zero skills at growing pretty much anything. I have an indoor ivy plant that I routinely almost kill and then nurse back to life. Yeah, I can even kill ivy. But I love the idea of growing our own veggies so we know exactly where they came from and how they were grown. We also really enjoy canning and freezing, and would love to have our own harvest to preserve. For now we're enjoying what we do have and counting on our CSA to do the heavy lifting.












No comments:

Post a Comment