Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Organic Lavender Baby Oil Recipe

Almost all of the baby oils found at the grocery store (even the all natural ones) are made out of mineral oil, so the molecules are too large to be absorbed into the skin.  It creates a nice greased baby but it's not capable of actually moisturizing the skin. Not to mention that mineral oil is a byproduct of distilling petroleum into gasoline. Not something I really want on my baby's skin.

I decided to recreate one of my favorite baby oils using organic ingredients. It turns out, I love it more than the original. The shea butter makes it thicker than most baby oils yet thinner than a lotion. It rubs in really well  and I haven't had any issues with it staining clothes. The shea butter has a pretty strong smell, but once it's cooled the lavender scent prevails. It's heavenly. I use this on E after every bath, and occasionally in between. I like to use it on myself on occasion as well. The only disadvantage of this oil is that one of my dogs loves shea butter and will eat an entire batch of this if given the opportunity.



Organic Lavender Baby Oil Recipe
4 oz organic sunflower oil, expeller or cold pressed
4 oz organic safflower oil, expeller or cold pressed
1 oz organic jojoba oil, cold pressed
1 1/2 oz organic shea butter
3-4 drops lavender essential oil (optional)

Combine sunflower oil, safflower oil, jojoba oil, and shea butter in a small saucepan. Heat very gently just to melt the shea butter. Once liquified, stir in lavender essential oil (or any other skin safe essential oil) and carefully transfer to lidded container.

To use, shake well and then rub small amount into skin after baths or when extra moisturizing is needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment